About Me

An Escapist close to the world.

Sunday 15 May 2011

I thought I was the 'only' one, visited:


Then SHE wrote:
He insists I take out all my long-lost memories. He unpacks them from his satchel. He suggests I take out all my old letters, childhood paintings and embarrassing moments. He takes great pleasure in asking disastrous 'what if' questions. He snuggles up too close for me to sleep and makes the doona lumpy. The magic monster is a guest I must welcome into my house, despite my desire never to see him again.

Then again you say:
I wanted the past to go away, I wanted
to leave it, like another country; I wanted my life to close, and open
like a hinge, like a wing, like the part of the song
where it falls
down over the rocks: an explosion, a discovery;
I wanted to hurry into the work of my life; I wanted to know,
whoever I was, I was
alive.
- Mary Oliver

Because you know:
The past is a foreign country where people do things differently there.
- L.P. Hartly

Then I do:
I float the heavy rocks off me, and vastly sweep into wideness of now.. I am only acquired and habitant by presentness.

No comments: